Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Birthday Bashes

Michael's birthday was April 4th, but we weren't able to celebrate because I had to leave for Arkansas for an emergency (unexpected) interview. I told him we would celebrate the next weekend, which fit perfectly because my adorable babies, Luke and Leia, turned one April 11!

It's so weird thinking that we've had Luke and Leia for almost a year! Time has flown by and it feels like we got them yesterday (except when we got them they were little and cute). They're still cute... but just a lot bigger.

I want to do a spot light for all my favorite people:

Michael


Here he is, with his TWO cakes. He really wanted carrot cake, so I made him one with cream cheese frosting (left). I'm not a huge fan of carrot, so I also made a chocolate fudge cake with chocolate frosting (right). Both cakes were amazing (NBD), and I actually preferred the carrot over the chocolate. Anywho, Michael is now 25!! 25 doesn't sound old, but then I think about how he's 5 years from 30!!! Here are some things I love about Michael:

#1: He can talk your ear off. Literally.
Michael loves to be on wikipedia, learning about anything and everything. Because of this, his brain is full of useless information that he LOVES to share with everyone. I feel bad. When he starts talking about weird things, I tend to tune out and I'm pretty sure he notices (he keeps talking anyway). I want to make sure he knows that I love hearing him babble, he's so cute when he's excited about stuff.

#2: He loves the dogs.
I'm more than positive that Michael will be an amazing father (when the time comes). He always takes the time to play and hang out with our puppies. Although we might not be on the same page when it comes to spoiling them (all dogs should have a pair of booties...), we are on the same page when it comes to giving them love. Any time we do anything, his first thoughts are on the dogs. He loves to take them hiking and running around with them on the field we go to. He also likes racing them, and usually beats Luke and Chewy. Leia is part gazelle, nothing can beat her.

#3. He sings every morning.
EVERY morning. No exaggeration there. Most of the time I enjoy hearing him making up lyrics (he never gets them right hahha), but there are some days where he's singing a song that I hate and I know I'll get it stuck in my head forever... so I get cranky on those days. But usually he just belts out songs, and sometimes he tries to sing in Spanish by making up words I've never heard before. So adorable.

Luke


This is my stud golden retriever. He's a darker version of a golden, but beautiful nonetheless. He's the happiest dog anyone will ever meet and loves meeting new people and dogs. He's never done anything naughty, except for being a little too excited when meeting people.. Here are some things I love about him:

#1: He's the sweetest boy you'll meet.
Luke is gentle (once he settles down) and loves to be near people. Unlike Chewy or Leia (who demand their presence to be noticed at all times), Luke will calmly approach me and stand next to me until I'm ready to pet him. He always gives me this "I love you Mom" stare that melts my heart and makes me want to smother him in kisses. 

#2: He's scared of everything, except for food.
Luke is hilarious because everything scares him. Our friend TJ likes to play dirty tricks on him all the time, so Luke runs toward me whenever he comes around. Any time Michael, TJ, or I have anything in our hand (that's not food), he'll put his tail between his legs and run away. And by "anything in our hand", I literally mean anything. Michael had a sock and he ran from it. I think one time I shook a paper plate at him and he scampered away. Poor thing... he'll never be a guard dog. 

#3. He rides shot gun, whether I'm there or not.
Whenever we drive over to the field they like to run in, he will always sit up front with Mom and Dad. Leia and Chewy like to sit in the back, and there's still room for Luke (Chewy is still growing.. yikes), but he prefers the company of sophisticated people (Yes, I'm talking about Michael and me). Whenever Michael brings any of the pups to come pick me up from work, Luke will always be in the front seat looking dashing and handsome. He's hilarious and I love his company up front.

Leia


This is my baby girl. Leia is the most unique dog I have ever had the pleasure to meet (and own- although I've never owned a dog until her). She has more personality and spice than most people. I am just so amazed at how smart and loving this girl is. Here are some things I love about my baby girl:

#1: She's human, so don't tell her otherwise. 
I saw this meme a while ago with a picture of a dog with it's head cocked to the side that said, "You mean I'm not peoples?". I immediately thought about Leia because she thinks she's a human. After the first couple months of having her, I remember one time I went to say good night to her and she got up on her hind legs and gave me a hug! She does this all the time now, but I love thinking back to the first time and how weird it was! When I talk to her (yes I have conversations with my dogs, you should to), I feel like she really is listening. Maybe I'm just weird, but I truly think I have a connection with her. 

#2: She loves people.
Leia may not be excited to meet new people like Luke is, but once she gets comfortable with you, you become her new favorite thing. She loves getting up close and personal really quick haha. One thing she does is she likes to get really close to your face and then likes to smell it. She takes it all in, even the ears. She then likes to attack you with kisses. I think she's learned to only kiss on the mouth from watching Michael and I. She has the sweetest looking eyes (they mislead...) which melt my heart and makes me want to squeeze her. 

#3: She is stubborn as HECK!
Honestly, she NEVER listens. It gets frustrating trying to do anything with her because once she has her mind on something, nothing, not even a leash, will stop her. We tell her to get off the counter 400x's a day. We tell her to not jump on people 100x's a day. We tell her to calm down and relax 1000x's a day. We tell her to get off the sofa 500x's a day. It's all repetition with Leia, but she never gets it. I sometimes wonder if she really is related to Michael, because they're the same way ;). I tell him to put his socks away 300x's a day. I tell him to pick up his shows 600x's a day. The similarities are amazing. Anywho, even with all her stubbornness and inability to learn (more like she doesn't want to or care to learn), she is still my beautiful baby girl and I love her because she's hilarious.

I love my family and I'm so grateful to have each of them in my lives. I'm so glad that we were able to celebrate their special days and make them feel special because they are :). If you made it this far, congrats!

Even though it's not his birthday, I can't leave this little guy out:


He's huge, slobbery, barks a lot, and thinks biting is a form of showing love. Nevertheless, he is our little baby boy and we love him to pieces. Look at that face!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Our pup does so many human things. He hugs us just like your dogs, but he likes to cross his legs, and he makes facial expressions. Whenever he does something like this we call him the
    human pup" sounds like your Leia

    ReplyDelete
  2. how tender! it really annoys me when people think the whole "they're just dogs, they don't know/care/blahblah". i think that's trash. dogs know. they're smarter than people give them credit for.

    ReplyDelete